|Cost:||Starting from $3.82/month|
How many important documents do you have saved on your computer? Do you have tax returns with your social security number, medical records, or bank statements? Or, how many times have you used a mobile banking app while waiting in line at the store?
Living in a digital age has countless benefits. However, it means that there are more significant risks, and sometimes protecting your house isn’t enough anymore.
PrivateVPN.com provides software that you can install on your computer and use anywhere. Once logged in with a unique username and password, you’ll be able to select one of the company’s over 150 servers and create an undetectable connection to the internet by hiding your IP address and location.
What is a VPN and Why Having a Private VPN is Beneficial
Before we go into too many details concerning PrivateVPN, it’s essential first to define a few key terms relating to this specific subject.
- VPN: A VPN, or virtual private network, is exactly what it sounds like. When you connect to the internet via your computer or smartphone, you’re entering the internet sphere with a public internet connection. VPNs create an encrypted “tunnel” to the internet which protects your information and hides your browsing history.
- IP Address: This common term stands for Internet Protocol Address and is comparable to a home address but given to any device connected to a computer network. IP addresses, a long combination of numbers and letters written in binary, give anyone connected to the same network access to your information and location.
- ISP: Short for Internet Service Provider, an ISP is a company that provides access to the internet (i.e., AT&T, Comcast, and Xfinity) through fiber optic technology, digital subscriber lines (DSL), cable modems, or satellite connections.
- Server: There are many different types of servers, such as file servers, print servers, application servers, and web servers. All can be used in conjunction with one another to provide connection and access to individual networks.
- Broadband: According to the Federal Communications Commission (FCC), broadband is what allows users to access the internet and typically provides faster download than upload speeds.
- Uptime: PrivateVPN boasts a 99.89% uptime, but what does that mean? Uptime, according to TechTerms.com, measures the reliability of a web server.
Benefits of VPNs
Now that you have a better understanding of what a VPN is, you may be wondering why having one is important. A private connection not only protects your information and browsing habits but can provide unlimited access to websites or streaming services that may be censored or unavailable in your country.
PrivateVPN was founded in 2009 under the name privatvpn.se. The company’s full name is Privat Kommunikation Sverige AB and it’s based in Stockholm, Sweden.
The software it sells allows you to connect to one of the company’s many servers via an encrypted connection and has protected 15,000 terabytes of data since it was founded. According to its website, PrivateVPN has received over 44,000 positive reviews from its customers.
While downloading software can be confusing and hard to understand, PrivateVPN provides extensive and detailed user-friendly instructions for Windows, macOS, iOS, Android, routers, Linux, SSL VPN, Proxy, and other devices.
Additionally, the website offers unparalleled customer service. You can access a live chat feature available on the site, but you can contact the VPN provider through email and remote desktop help.
Best Features of PrivateVPN
Now that you have a better idea of the advantages of having a VPN and have more knowledge concerning the VPN provider itself, here’s a list of what makes PrivateVPN stand out among its competitors.
One of the most common reasons people get VPNs is to protect their identities, both at home and in public spaces such as at coffee shops, libraries, or airports. Because IP addresses are public, your browsing history and information can easily be hacked.
Because PrivateVPN is a Swedish company, its country’s privacy laws prohibit traffic logs from being kept or seized by the government. Additionally, it offers 2048-bit encryption with AES-256, making it one of the few companies that offer the type of high-level encryption used by government militaries.
Is there a Netflix film that’s available in other countries but not your own, yet you’ve been dying to watch? Or have you ever traveled overseas and no longer have access to certain news websites?
Certain media content may be geo-restricted, depending on your location. However, PrivateVPN allows you to choose from servers located in over 60 countries. Here’s a list of some of them:
Canada, Austria, Croatia, Hong Kong, Ireland, Taiwan, Thailand, and the United Kingdom.
PrivateVPN allows you to stream all of Netflix’s content, regardless of where you’re watching. According to the Harvard Business Review, Netflix is available in over 190 countries but must comply with national regulatory restrictions, meaning that certain content may be blocked. PrivateVPN’s software also provides you with unlimited bandwidth, so you never have to deal with buffering issues and can watch your favorite show or movie without interruptions.
Its global presence is backed up by its website, which can be translated into German, French, and Swedish.
Secure for Business Needs
As workplaces begin to transition to fully remote work (or if you do so already), having a highly secure network is of the utmost importance. PrivateVPN allows you to connect to any business network from your home computer using state-of-the-art security measures so you can work with peace of mind knowing that your files and communication are private and protected.
Torrenting is an activity that isn’t inherently illegal yet can incur serious fines and even blackmail if you’re not careful.
Unlike most download files from the internet, a torrent will divide a big file into smaller “packets” to be downloaded. While the risks of downloading a virus from torrenting are actually smaller than regular downloads, downloading copyrighted material is illegal under anti-piracy and copyright laws.
PrivateVPN’s software acts as a strong defense against both viruses and government fines by hiding your real IP and protecting your identity from governments and hackers. Its secure VPN, made specifically for torrenting, has provided complete anonymity without a single data breach since the company’s inception.
Cost, Plans, and Data
PrivateVPN offers one-, three-, and 13-month plans. The latter is the most popular and cost-efficient as you pay a lump sum of $49.68. This total, when divided by 12, breaks down to only $3.82 per month, as opposed to $7.67 for the month-long plan. The three-month plan is $4.88, or a sum of $14.63, which saves you 55%.
Regardless of the plan, however, all come with a 30-day money-back guarantee, all PrivateVPN apps, customer support, and high-speed unlimited bandwidth.
PrivateVPN loves to reward its loyal customers through a point-based referral program. By referring a friend or acquaintance to PrivateVPN through a referral URL link, you earn points every time they purchase a new plan or add to an existing one. In return, you can redeem points for free days of the service.
Here’s a point breakdown of the program:
- You get 100 points when your referred friends purchase one month
- You get 250 points for a three-month plan
- You get 1,000 points for a friend who purchases a year-long plan
Criticism of PrivateVPN
Just like all things, PrivateVPN also has its faults. While it provides great advantages and has unique features, it doesn’t have as many servers as its competitors (such as NordVPN and CyberGhost), and its broadband network does appear to be slower in certain locations.
Another drawback of this VPN provider is that you can’t connect to OpenVPN and, in particular instances, PPTP in China. However, the website writes that users in China can use L2TP instead.
If you’ve read this far, you may have questions ranging from what types of operating systems PrivateVPN supports to the number of simultaneous connections it allows. Luckily, PrivateVPN has an extensive FAQ page which answers questions including, but not limited to:
- Is it possible to bypass ISP restrictions?
- Does VPN slow my internet connection?
- What operating systems does PrivateVPN support?
- How many connections does PrivateVPN allow simultaneously?
- Does it permit P2P?
- Does PrivateVPN log data traffic while browsing the internet through the software?
- What kind of encryption is used, and is it strong?
Final Thoughts on PrivateVPN
Overall PrivateVPN is an excellent choice for anyone concerned with their privacy. The plans are also relatively affordable in comparison to other VPN providers and work with the length of service you want or need.
The VPN provider also seems concerned with customer care and satisfaction. On its blog post page, it offers a wide selection of tutorials and guides in addition to posts on business, entertainment, and travel topics.
In addition to its 30-day money-back guarantee, you can also test PrivateVPN risk-free for one week by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org to receive a gift code.
Although it’s a smaller company that offers a much smaller selection of servers, it’s multi-layered VPNs and enhanced security make it worth it.